Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Arrival

Hi everyone! Sorry it has taken me so long to post. We have had little free time to reach the internet cafe, and now that I have reached it, it is very slow. I have arrived safely in Jinja after a loooooong journey (8 hour flight to Amsterdam + 3 hour layover + 8 hour flight to Nairobi, Kenya + 3 hour layover + 1.5 hour flight to Entebbe). The diarrhea started as early as Kenya (I'm sure you are all pleased to know), but Immodium has been very friendly :).

Some highlights (which will expand later ... I do not have my journal of observations with me right now):

-Sitting next to a 28-year-old Ugandan on the plane from Nairobi to Entebbe. She was my first clue that Ugandans are very blunt. Her first question was whether I was Christian. Then she asked why, if the United States had so many Christians, everyone was so terrified of the economic crisis. Shouldn't they just rely on God? It made me kind of uncomfortable, but I think my answer was satisfactory. I was also surprised that when her baby cried, she breastfed right in front of me. I guess I must've been putting off vibes of discomfort, because she explained that breastfeeding while walking down the street in Uganda is quite common. At the end of the flight, she gave me her number and name (for Facebook!), just in case I needed to contact her while in country.
-One of my favorite things so far is the color of the dirt. Odd, I know. But it's rusty orange. And when it rains, little pools the color of tomato basil soup are all over the roads. The drive from Entebbe through Kampala and onto Jinja on Sunday was gorgeous. We passed countless chai tea and sugar plantations, children in bright purple school uniforms feeding goats on the side of the highway, women carrying firewood on their heads, and (you'd be happy to know this dad) wind turbines in the capital. I also saw some of the ugliest birds ever. I was told they are Maribou (spelling?) storks. Look at them on Google images. Nasty.
-The past two days we've been staying at a hotel, before heading to our host families tomorrow. I've learned how to use the "bucket bath." I've also eaten lots of matooke (mashed bananas), rice, goat meat, and posho (a kind of corn mush).


I'll have plenty more to add soon. Right now we've got to go to a language lesson then dinner!

Love,

Your Favorite Muzungu (what all white people are called here)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Abby!
    I am so glad you found the internet cafe and could post to your blog. It is amazing as I read about your trip so far how many different foods, ideas and customs you have been exposed to already! You have just barely arrived! I look forward to your next post and you are always in my prayers. Stay safe!

    Lots of love,
    Aunt Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hija,

    Two firsts for me......one to read a blog......one to reply to a blog......I think I'm getting the hang of it.

    So wind turbines around Kampala? Same scale as our project in central Kansas?

    Glad to hear you arrived OK and that FSD is taking good care of you and your teammates. Stay healthy. Stay safe.

    Love,

    Tu Padre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Babs,

    Thanks for getting on the internet to update your blog and not respond to my emails.

    Just kidding.

    I looked up pictures of the stork, and I have to say...I think we've both seen uglier (think back to biology animal videos senior year).

    I'm glad everything is going well for you :)
    I'm going to go eat a nice big cheeseburger and some ice cream now. Enjoy your mashed bananas and corn mush!

    Love your favorite friend ever

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abdominal!!

    Hope you adjusting to Uganda life!! I can't wait to read about all your amazing adventures! Hug some cute little Ugandians (sp?) for me!!

    Love you bunches!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete